What Kinds of Jobs Are Available With a BSN/MBA?

Experienced nurses who have a BSN and an MBA can combine knowledge of clinical procedures with business practices in challenging, patient care jobs. Providing a bridge between the medical and financial responsibilities of an institution requires an understanding of both fields. As a chief nursing officer for a hospital or as director of emergency room services, a qualified person can make significant contributions. 

Directing Emergency Rooms

Emergency rooms are a safety net in communities today, often providing the only medical care that many patients receive. Rand Corporation published an article stating that emergency rooms serve primary care doctors as advanced diagnostic centers. The report’s statistics show that about 50 percent of admissions to hospitals originated in emergency rooms during 2003 -2009.

Emergency rooms are used more frequently than other areas of medical practice, adding to the demand for competent directors. Offering more access to complex diagnostic measures than are often available in doctors’ offices, emergency rooms provide challenging work for nurses who hold both a BSN and an MBA.

The demand for emergency room service in 2010 produced 129.8 million visits in 2010, according to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than 37 million were injury related, and about 25 percent of patients were seen within 15 minutes. Coordinating the delivery of medical service to a population that needs emergency care presents challenging opportunities. With nearly 6,000 registered hospitals in cities across the United States, jobs as medical room directors provide rewarding careers for qualified candidates.

Reporting to a Hospital’s Chief Executive Officer (CNO)

After years of hospital executives minimizing the benefits of including a Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) as a valued member of upper management, a new acceptance is emerging. According to a survey on the relationship between a CNO and a Chief Executive Officer (CEO), strong bonds are forming. Conducted by a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE) and a registered nurse (RN), the report deserves respect from medical professionals.

Statistics show that 75 percent of CNOs now report directly to a CEO, and the remaining 25 percent report to a Chief Operating Officer (COO). The relationship provides frequent communication on a weekly basis and meetings in group settings every other month. As a result of improved relationships in the hospital environment, NCO’s have increasing contact with the Board of Directors.

Most RNs as well as many CNOs are familiar with hospital policies that distanced them from upper level management and limited their ability to make significant contributions to policies and strategies. While jobs as CNOs are not as frequently needed as RNs, the opportunity to supervise nursing staff and activities in a hospital setting exist in major cities. Planning for the well being of patients and nursing staff requires knowledge of management, supervision and administration.

Jobs that are available with a BSN/MBA also include patient care and medical managerial positions that provide challenging and rewarding career advancement. Taking a position as a CNO or director of emergency room services likely provides a higher level of visibility and authority than is available in other jobs. In a leadership role, a qualified BSN/MBA graduate has the opportunity to influence the policies and strategies of a hospital.

Here is a look at the “Top 10 Cheap Online RN to BSN Degree Programs” t0 see how you can obtain your BSN degree.